Church of st clements oranges and lemons

The brutal truth of Oranges and Lemons Say the Bells of St Clement’s

Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on digg
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on digg

Table of Contents

Theories abound to the meaning behind the words in the nursery rhyme ‘Oranges and Lemons’. You can hear the bells of the Church of St Clement, in the Borough of Westminster, but what of the altogether darker thoughts behind the rhyme.

 St Clement’s Danes RAF church

Where is the Church of St Clement’s?

The Church of Clement’s can be found near to the Royal Courts of justice, notably standing in the middle of the road with traffic passing either side. The date of the site goes back to at least the 9th century when a Danish church occupied the location. The Church of St Clement’s is thought to be named after a patron saint of Mariners St Clement’s.

It suffered some damages over the years and fire damage in 1666 In 1682 Sir Christopher Wren completed the church. James Gibbs built the tower in 1719, during World War 2 the tower had to be rebuilt due to bomb damage. They completed the refurbishment in 1958, some years after the war through the fundraising efforts of the RAF. The Church was fully restored on the 19th of October 1958 and reconsecrated to be the central church of the RAF.

Continue Reading

Leave a Reply

24th June

1717 The Freemasons of England was founded in London and set up their Grand Lodge.     1509 Henry V III    married Catherine of Aragon

Core Topics on the HangerLondon