1952 The Last tram journey in London arrived at New Cross Depot in South East London. The Tram had an advertising banner saying “Last Tram Week” Many crowds came out to cheer . In 1901 the first electric trams appeared on the streets of London. Prior to this horse drawn trams were used which started in 1861. There are examples of trams in the London Transport museum and The Depot open weekends. In 1931 an inquiry was commissioned because trams were thought noisy, dangerous and the outcome was that they were to be replaced by trolley buses. During the outbreak of the Second world war in 1939, Trams had a second lease of life, as many children were evacuated and trams were being used for this purpose to transport them.