1885 the first Football match that the Millwall Rovers F.C played against Fillebrook F.C
Club motto “ we Fear no foe where e’er we go”
Brief History of the club
Millwall Rovers was formed by the workers of C&E Morton’s (J.T Morton’s Canning and Preserve) factory which was based on either side of West Ferry road on the Isle of Dogs, approximately 17-23 West Ferry Road
The club used the Islander pub as changing rooms and also the headquarters. This pub was destroyed during WW2 and was not rebuilt. The club no less had 4 ground sites over its history on the Isle of Dogs. The fourth ground being in the vicinity of the current Mudchute DLR station. The Club eventually packed its bags and moved across the river to its current home in New Cross in 1910. The current stadium is called the Den and can be seen by many traveling in by rail from Kent through South East London on the way to London Bridge.
The first Match
They were beaten 5-0. The FA record of the first season results: played 24, won 17, drawn 3 and lost 4. Goals 45 for and 28 against.
This stadium was feared because of the noise and the supporters were strong for their home team. The Supporters would challenge officials and be very forthright.
Their Motto slogan being “ we Fear no foe where e’er we go”.
The Millwall roar, it was thought to be sportsmanlike to cheer when the opposition played well but Millwall fans roared for their own team all the time.