1959 The first trunk call was made from a public pay phone.
This is where people could call a longer distance number, without having to first call an operator. The Launch call was made from Bristol. The Deputy Lord Mayor calling the Lord Mayor of London.
The K6 or Kiosk No.6 would have been the design of call box at the time. Taking 3d,6d and 1s. British red telephone boxes are icons known all over the world. The K6 was first designed in 1935, by Sir Giles, Gilbert Scott. They were to commemorate King George V Silver Jubilee In 1935. They were released in 1936 and stopped being built towards the end of the 1960s. But there are thought to still be 10-11,000 of them still around. Although many different kinds of call boxes still exist and are somewhat of a national treasure, it is thought 10-11,000 of these are still around.
The K6 was 8ft in height, 3ft wide. Cast iron, with teak wood sections forming the grid on the window panes in the door. The windows were in an 8×3 formation of rectangles one large with two smaller at either end. The solid concrete floor. The top sign “Telephone” was illuminated. The Crown emblem embossed on the top. Cupped shaped handle that felt nicely formed. The dome-shaped roof was inspired by the domed roof of Sir John Soane’s Mausoleum, that he designed himself. It was ornate and was erected in 1816.